TanzaniaInvest had the pleasure of interviewing Felix Ngamlagosi, Director General of Tanzania’s Energy & Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA). Mr. Ngamlagosi discusses the country’s hunger for…
The Energy and Water Utilities Regulatory Authority (EWURA) is an autonomous multi-sectoral regulatory authority established by the EWURA Act Cap 414.
EWURA is responsible for technical and economic regulation of the electricity, petroleum, natural gas and water sectors in Tanzania.
The functions of EWURA include licensing, tariff review, monitoring performance and standards with regards to quality, safety, health and environment.
EWURA is also responsible for promoting effective competition and economic efficiency, protecting the interests of consumers.
The Authority is promoting the availability of regulated services to all including low-income, rural and disadvantaged consumers in the regulated sectors.
In carrying out its functions, EWURA shall strive to enhance the welfare of Tanzania society by:
- – promoting effective competition and economic efficiency;
- – protecting the interests of consumers;
- – protecting the financial viability of efficient suppliers;
- – promoting the availability of regulated services to all consumers including low-income, rural and disadvantaged consumers;
- – taking into account the need to protect and preserve the environment;
- – enhancing public knowledge, awareness, and understanding of the regulated sectors.