The National Bureau of Statistics of Tanzania (NBS) revealed that the Annual Headline Inflation Rate for the month of May 2023 decreased to 4.0% from 4.3% recorded in April 2023.
Meanwhile, the overall index went up from 108.42 recorded in May 2022 to 112.72 in May 2023.
The National Monthly Consumer Price Index between April 2023 and May 2023 has increased by 0.2%.
Changes in Tanzania National Consumer Price Indices (NCPI) for May 2023, (2020 = 100)
Food and Non-Alcoholic Beverages Inflation Rate for May 2023 has decreased to 8.5% from 9.1% that was recorded in April 2023.
Some food items that contributed to an increase in the index include:
- Wheat flour by 0.2%
- Maize flour by 1.3%
- Pasta products by 1.0%
- Meat of poultry by 1.4%
- Dried sardines by 2.3%
- Dried fish by 0.5%
- Vegetable oils by 0.3%
- Irish potatoes by 2.2%
- Dried lentils by 0.4%
- Dried peas by 1.1%
- Cassava flour by 7.7%
- Mineral waters by 0.3%
The Annual Inflation Rate for all items without food and non-alcoholic beverages for May 2023 also decreased to 2.1% from 2.3% which was recorded in April 2023.
Some non-food items that contributed to an increase in the index include:
- Domestic manufactured spirits by 1.8%
- Garments for men by 0.2%
- Garments for women by 0.4%
- Garments for infants by 0.2%
- Footwear for men by 0.6%
- Actual rentals paid by tenants by 0.6%
- Firewood by 0.6%
- Wood charcoal by 2.2%
- Furnishings, household equipment and routine household maintenance by 0.2%
- Petrol by 2.1%
- Passenger transport by taxi by 0.4%
- Passenger transport by air by 0.4%
- Food provided by full-service restaurants by 2.8%
- Accommodation services in hotels and guest houses by 0.2%
- Handbags by 0.9%