United Nation’s Green Climate Fund (GCF) recently agreed to make an anchor investment of USD80m in Deutsche Bank’s USD3.5b fund for renewable energy access in Africa.
Deutsche Bank’s fund will enable local banks to extend medium and long term loans to businesses that provide clean electricity solutions. The fund will initially focus on Nigeria, Benin, Namibia, Tanzania and Kenya.
The announcement comes just before the launch of the Africa Energy Forum: Off Grid and Mini Grid Summit, which will take place on 6–8th December, 2016 in Dar es Salaam.
The event will focus on project opportunities for mini and off grid technology providers working in Africa’s energy space.
The summit will bring together ministries of energy, rural electrification agencies, philanthropic business foundations, banks, regulatory bodies, multilateral organizations and off grid businesses to discuss topical issues concerning rolling out off-grid projects across Africa.
Participants will include General Electric, The World Bank, The Department for International Development, Virgin Unite, Shell Foundation, CRDB Bank and Stanbic Bank, as well as ministries of energy, rural electrification agencies, and regulatory bodies from across the continent.
Confirmed speakers include:
- H.E. Hon Simon Dujanga, Minister of State for Energy, Government of Uganda
- H.E. Hon January Makamba, Minister of State in the Vice President’s Office for Union Affairs and Environment, Tanzania
- Dr Benon Mutambi, CEO of Electricity Regulatory Authority, Uganda
- Godfrey R. Turahikayo, Executive Director, Rural Electrification Agency, Uganda
- Isaac Kiva, Director of Renewable Energy, Ministry of Energy, Kenya
- Emilian Nyanda, Deputy Commissioner for Renewable Energy, Ministry of Energy, Tanzania Focus Mrosso, Manager Syndication, Project Finance, CRDB Bank, Tanzania
- Ferhat Esen, Energy Specialist at the World Bank
- Decklan Mahiki, Deputy Managing Director at TANESCO
- Simon Sayore, Chairman and Managing Partner, TAC Associates
- Eddy Njoroge, Non-Executive Committee Member, Berkeley Energy
- Deo Onyango, Director of Renewables, General Electric
- Kenneth Mutoanga, Frontier Fund Dr Sabit Thaba, Climate Change Adviser, Department for International Development
- Estomih Sawe, Executive Director, TATEDO, Tanzania
- Boni Chileshe, Managing Director, East Africa, AECOM
- David Ross, Managing Director, Statera Capital Professor
- Izael Da Silva, Associate Dean, Strathmore Energy Research, Kenya
View the latest brochure and confirmed speakers for the Africa Energy Forum: Off the Grid Summit here.
The registration fee to attend the Africa Energy Forum: Off the Grid 2016 is USD859 until November 7th 2016 and USD1,119 after November 7th 2016. TanzaniaInvest readers enjoy 20% discount rate off USD1,119 by using the code TI.
Africa Energy Forum: Off the Grid Registration Contacts
- Tel: +44 (0)20 7384 7936, +44 (0)20 7384 8068
- Email: [email protected]